What is Microneedling?
Microneedling is an aesthetic treatment for the appearance of fine lines, acne scars and the skin texture, tone and color. SkinPen is the first microneedling cleared by the FDA device with results and safety. SkinPen microneedling has been clinically shown to be effective for women and men with skin ranging from light to very dark. Likewise, SkinPen’s mechanical process is less abrasive than chemical peels. In addition, when you properly space treatments that are overseen by a physician, the procedures can be administered year-round.
How Microneedling Works?
SkinPen microneedling creates controlled micro-injuries to stimulate the body’s natural wound healing process while minimizing cellular damage. The result is effective remodeling of scar tissue while keeping the overall structure of the skin intact.
Benefits of Microneedling Treatments
The benefits of SkinPen microneedling include a reduction in the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles and scars, as well as younger-looking skin with fewer signs of aging. Microneedling can also have a positive effect on the appearance of hyperpigmentation, dark spots, acne scars, and stretch marks, and creates a fresh appearance or glow to the skin. Most microneedling patients are red for just 24 hours or less. That advantage means you can get the procedure performed on a Friday and be back to normal for work on Monday.*
Automated Micro-Needling FAQs
We have compiled a list of questions that we are frequently asked during our consultations for automated micro-needling treatments. We recommend that you schedule a complimentary consultation by calling our office at (425) 420-2663.
How Is the Procedure Done?
A sterile cartridge containing 12 tiny micro-points is attached to the Eclipse MicroPen®. One of our Master Aestheticians will apply a thin layer of saline solution to your skin, and then select the appropriate treatment setting based on your unique needs. Next, in a single motion, the pen will be gently pressed against your skin while simultaneously gliding until the entire treatment area has been covered.
What Does It Feel Like?
The feeling associated with the Eclipse MicroPen® is similar to light sandpaper being moved across the skin. While some areas are more sensitive than others, the speed of the reciprocating Eclipse MicroPen® tip reduces discomfort while the post-treatment hydrating gel also makes the procedure more tolerable.
How Many Treatments Do I Need?
It is recommended for most patients to receive a series of 2-3 treatments spaced about 6-8 weeks apart. For patients with deep wrinkles, advanced photo-aging, stretch marks or acne scars, your skin care provider may recommend 6-8 sessions at 4-6 week intervals.*
Who Performs The Treatment?
Can I Get Other Treatments Done The Same Day?
What Should I Expect After My Treatments?
Immediately after the treatment, you will notice a bright redness to the skin. The total healing time depends on the Eclipse MicroPen® setting used, and the number of overlapping passes your skincare professional performs. On average, patients are red up to 2 to 4 days. Some patients heal completely in as little as 24 hours.*
When Is The Best Time Of The Year To Get Micro-Needling Treatments Done?
You can get your micro-needling treatments done year round.
What Are The Contraindications For This Treatment?
You are NOT a candidate for micro-needling if you:
- Take blood thinning medication
- Have an active bacterial or fungal infection
- Have a history of keloid scar
- Have any other medical condition contraindicated by the treating provider
Palomar 1540 Fractional Treatment Preparation
12 MONTHS PRIOR:
- Stop use of Accutane
10-14 DAYS PRIOR:
- Purchase several bags of ice packs/frozen peas
- We recommend purchasing a gentle post laser cleanser and moisturizer
- Do not use any of your Retinol based products
- Do not use any glycolic acid and/or exfoliating treatments
- Avoid sun exposure 2 weeks prior to your treatment
- Do not wax
- If you have a history of cold sores, please call us at (425) 420-2663, you will need a prescription for Valtrex or Famvir to begin the day or two days before your treatment
DAY OF YOUR TREATMENT:
- PLEASE BE ON TIME—we need your full appointment time for numbing and photos.
- Arrive with no makeup or eye contacts.
- Bring a wide brimmed hat to your appointment to wear after your treatment.
- We recommend you eat a meal 1-2 hours, and have no caffeine, 4 hours before your treatment to prevent you from feeling jittery.
- Stay Hydrated. Drink plenty of water before, during and after your treatment. This can help improve your healing time.
Post-Care Instructions for Palomar 1540
- Very Important—Ice for 10-20 minutes (10-20 on, 10-20 off) every 2-3 hours for the first 2 days to reduce swelling
- Take Aleve and/or Ibuprofen (as directed) for discomfort and Benadryl or Claritin to reduce swelling
- Avoid taking hot showers and redirect shower spray away from treatment area for the first 48-72 hours
- Avoid saunas and hot tubs
- Avoid strenuous exercise for 48-72 hours
- Avoid alcoholic beverages and high sodium foods/drinks for 24-72 hours depending on degree of swelling
- Sleep with 1-2 extra pillows at night, keeping your head raised for the first 2 nights to help reduce swelling
- Do not use any retinol products for 1-2 weeks post-procedure
- Do not use any non-prescription creams without checking with us first for 2 weeks after
- Refrain from any chemical peel treatments or microdermabrasion for 2-4 weeks
- Make-up may be applied the next day, if no blistering occurs
- Avoid scratching, rubbing the treated skin – do not put adhesive dressings over treated areas.
- Men may gently shave 3 days post-treatment
- Avoid direct sunlight for a minimum of 4 weeks after your treatment. Wear a Dr. Bryan McIntosh approved physical sun protection for the next 4 weeks. If actively outdoors, you should reapply your sunscreen every 80 minutes and wear a wide-brimmed hat.