Summer has been particularly fine in Bellevue and the Greater Seattle area this year with a record number of warm, dry, sunny days. But now that Summer’s passed and we’re deep into Fall, it is time to take stock of all the damage the sun has left on our skin as an inconvenient side-effect of having had too much outdoor fun.
Indeed, sun damage harms our skins in more ways than we often realize. Besides sunburn, the invisible UV (ultra violet) rays cause spots, patches, wrinkles, and discolorations and add years to our appearance. In fact, research has proved that UV exposure is responsible for 80% of our skin’s aging progression!
Is the appearance of sun damage reversible?
Thankfully, the answer is yes!
And one of the quickest and most efficient ways to remove signs of sun damage is a non-invasive procedure called Photorejuvenation IPL.
The treatment (also known as Fotofacial) uses a light-based technology to boost collagen, lighten brown spots and diminish broken capillaries, and it has shown amazing results for people suffering from acne scars, enlarged pores and Rosacea as well.
Intense pulse lights (IPL) are applied, via a sophisticated IPL device, to the skin to bring unwanted pigments to the surface. By using different settings and multiple wavelength filters, the device targets the chromophores of hemoglobin (for vessels) and melanin (for brown spots), and diminishes their appearance in quick and easy treatment sessions that last only a few minutes.
The damaged areas may intensify in appearance right after a treatment, with minor swelling in some cases, but that is an expected part of the purging process and it should begin to clear up on its own in a few days.
After one treatment, you should notice a 10-20 per cent improvement in your skin condition. It is recommended that you choose to take 3-5 sessions (3-4 weeks apart) to get maximum benefits from the procedure.
For many years, Photorejuvenation IPL had been a well-kept secret of Hollywood stars, and many celebrities like Angelina Jolie and Denise Richards have attested to the efficacy of the treatment to give them their smooth, timeless, radiant skin.
In fact, Jolie’s dermatologist, Dr Rhonda Rand, recently revealed that their main goal when working with the Lara Croft: Tomb Raider star’s skin is to reduce pigmentation left by the sun. “When I got pregnant, I had darker areas on my face that just got darker,” Angelina told InStyle magazine in an interview. “So I have to do an IPL treatment every once in a while.”
And now, you too can reverse the signs of ageing by removing all signs of discoloration and sun damage like they never existed in the first place.
Commonly Asked Questions About Photorejuvenation IPL
# 1: What are the benefits of Photorejuvenation IPL?
• Reverses sun damage
• Tightens open/large pores
• Improves acne-prone skin
• Reduces sun spot and freckles
• Reduces fine lines and wrinkles
• Reduces hyperpigmentation
• Reduces appearance of skin scars (from acne, chicken pox etc.)
• Treats vascular lesions (broken capillaries, blood vessels, rosacea etc.)
• Increases production of elastin and collagen
# 2: How does the treatment progress?
• A numbing cream is first applied to the skin, followed by a thick layer of gel.
• The eyes are covered to protect them from the light flashes.
• Thereafter, the practitioner uses the IPL device to go over problem areas on the skin of the face, neck, hands or anywhere else that needs help.
• The procedure lasts 15-30 minutes.
# 3: Is the procedure painful?
• Prior to the treatment, a numbing cream is applied to the skin to alleviate any discomfort from the pulses emanating from the IPL device.
# 4: What can I expect after the procedure?
• As mentioned earlier, you will experience a `purging’ of sorts, as the discolorations darken and intensify temporarily. The brown spots, for example, will probably show signs of peeling for two or three days. The vascular lesions should resolve within 10-14 days. So don’t be discouraged by the early signs of purging. This is all normal.
# 5: How many sessions are required?
• Usually, it is advisable to take 3-5 sessions with 3-4 week gaps in between to make sure you get maximum benefits from the treatment. Your practitioner will advise you on this, in accordance to the needs of your skin.
# 6: Why should I choose a really good practitioner?
• The real reason why the skill of the practitioner you choose is so important is this: the device is a complicated piece of machinery that has to be calibrated with knowledge and experience to make sure that the unique needs of each and every patient is met comprehensively. Photorejuvenation IPL can be one of the most effective result-driven treatments for skin – but only if it is employed properly!